Day 6 - Rainbow Center

posted under by Team Peru Denmark
This morning, the team woke up around 6.30 more excited than ever, in sunny Urubamba. The day had finally arrived in which we would be able to meet all of the children who spend their days at the Rainbow Centre. We were all very fidgety at breakfast, and couldn’t wait to see the faces of the smiling children as we would walk under the colorful arch of the Rainbow Centre.

Meeting the kids exceeded our expectations. They were all so incredibly happy and welcoming. Within the first seconds of walking into the Rainbow Centre we all knew why we had joined Team Peru. The feeling we got when these children, who have suffered so much, ran up to us with open arms was indescribable.

Our day with the kids started with Brain Gym which incorporated motor skills and interaction between us and the kids. After this, the Team split up into two groups, one of which stayed at the centre to build Fernando’s room. The work was very intense and required a lot of physical labor as we were laying bricks which would turn out to be the walls of the room. The other group travelled to the Rainbow House to paint the various children’s bedrooms.

Following the project work, we all gathered back at the centre to begin individual work with the students. Each Team Peru member was paired up with one or two students, and had the opportunity to play, bond and interact with the child while taking pictures of one another.

Today was a very special day since we were able to connect with the children, which was a very rewarding experience for all of us. We can’t wait for tomorrow where we will continue to work on our projects as well as bond with these amazing children.

Hasta mañana!

Sara, Helena & Madison

All I need for this day to be the best of my life is a winning lottery ticket and a heart-to-heart talk with Bob Dylan. Bobby was busy, and I couldn’t find any place that sold tickets, but today was still a surefire top 10 day of my life.

First of all, the building work was probably some of the most satisfying work I’ve ever done. It was an overwhelming contrast to sitting in the classroom learning about fractal patterns and Ivan Bulgarkov. Today I felt truly useful. The physical nature of the work actually turned out to be a good thing – as the bricks became heavier, the more satisfying it became to lay them down. And not only was this the first time in a while where I felt good for something, but I’ve also grown much closer to my group members today. Bonding (or “warm fuzzy feelings,” as Mr. Ward calls it) was encouraged by the working conditions, as we were working toward a common goal that we all believed in.

And the kids! There is no way I can describe the kids without it sounding like a cliché (so sorry for the following paragraph for all of you who have read other literature than Twilight). In those kids, there’s just so much happiness packed into such compact packages. It was incredible, almost spiritual, to sit with Fernando and caress his hands. It took so little to make him so joyful, bursting into giddy laughter every time his hands were stroked. It’s hard to put the intensity of the experience into words, because it was so overwhelming (I’m also still a little fatigued from the jetlag, so sorry if my vocabulary isn’t too sophisticated).

I once read a poem that would go a long way to describe what I feel right now. I don’t remember what it’s called, or who wrote it, but the poet talks about living with the thieves of Manchester, and scraping by in the slums of India, and all these other living conditions that he’s been through, and then in the end he discounts it all with a stanza about looking into the eyes of a child. “God,” he describes it as. I’m not quite sure if I’d call today a contact with deity, but I figure it comes pretty close.

Paz y amor,

Pfeiffer

My feelings as I entered the center for the first time were that of complete awe. While ‘indescribable’ would be the fairest way to characterize my emotions, perhaps I can attempt another discription.

The center was much different from what I imagined. Better; yes much better, but much different. It was breathtaking to see the physical manifestation of this team and the past teams’ work. A simple way to describe the center would be as a little oasis of green grass and cleanliness. The ground and buildings in the center radiate compassion and safety. Certainly this place was filled with an indescribable magic that came from the overflow of hard-work and unconditional love that each and every volunteer had left behind.

Benjamin

Today I met a young boy called Yelson. At fourteen years of age, and with the challenges he faces, social interaction does not come naturally to him. Using my limited amount of Spanish, it was difficult to make conversation, but we quickly found other methods of communication. Being extremely shy, Yelson did not feel like playing, despite his passion for football – nor was he very keen on taking photos, which was the day’s activity.
Patiently, I strived to find something to entertain him, something to grasp him, something to connect us. All the while, he simply stared at me with his beautiful eyes. I soon realized that that was enough; I was sitting down on a nearby bench, searching for inspiration, when he sat down next to me. Taking my hand in his, he smiled the most genuine smile – as if this was the most incredible moment of his life. We sat in silence for several minutes, watching the others, holding hands.

Silvia

As I gaze upon
The mountain line
Peru is filled with beauty

As I gaze upon
The humankind
Peru is filled with beauty

As I gaze upon
The Rainbow center kids
Life is filled with beauty

A beauty that cannot be understood
Til seen with ones own eyes

Frederik

8 kommentarer

Make A Comment